Monday, October 6, 2008

I'm feeling like some Autumn Crafts

Oh how I wish I lived where there were beautiful changing fall leaves. But I don't ...

As a kid, I remember going out back and gathering fall leaves and bringing them in to my mom. She would arrange them in between two pieces of wax paper and iron them on a low setting. The wax paper would seal as it heated and would encase the leaves, making a fall leaves place mat.

So as I look around at my palm trees and beach sand and sign, I need to show my daughter the beauty of autumn. I think I will gather the old crayons that I have in hidden drawers, tubs, pouches and cases and make my own leaves.

I take my old crayons in reds, oranges, yellows and greens, pull out my trusty old sharpener and start shaving crayons in all of the fall colors. I pull out my handy dandy wax paper and when my piece of wax paper is covered in shavings, I pull out another piece of wax paper to lay on top of my shavings and iron. All of the pieces of crayon color melt together and mix like autumn colors. Then you cut out leaf shapes and hang them with fishing line from the ceiling or do whatever with them.

Since my girls are Floridians and a cool crisp autumn evening means 70 degree weather, I think tomorrow we will make some crayon leaves and add them to our front door wreath to make us feel like fall.

No comments: